Tuesday, June 22, 2010

After Breaking 5 Needles...



Since I wasn't in class this past Saturday, I had to make the two hard cover books on my own at home. This was a bit of a challenge, particularly the stab bind. I did not have too much trouble putting the hardcover journal together because I had a sheet of directions from Jenny. I got stuck on how to glue the signatures into the cover. I don't think I did that right, but I'll keep practicing! Also, one of my inside covers is a little crooked even though I did work super carefully. I am still happy with how it turned out, and I loved the paper I used and will go buy some more this week!


















The stab bind was REALLY difficult for me. I could not find very good directions anywhere on the internet, so I just used Jenny's book as an example and tried to figure out how to do it from that. I do not reccommend this as a process although I learned an awful lot. My covers did not come out quite even, which makes me think that one end should be shorter than the other to allow for the hinge? The worst part of this for me was the sewing! I broke 5 needles trying to complete the spine...and that was all I had, so one of the stitches is incomplete. I vow to buy more needles and finish this when I get it back. I am very excited about the flower details I added to the lower right corner. I fastened them with brads before I glued the board to the paper. The white paper is a little see-through, but I think I am okay with that.







2 comments:

Meredith said...

I love the flower decorations; such a wonderful idea!

Kinetic Prose said...

I really like your journal paper!

I kind of feel like needle breaking should be an acknowledged booky rite of passage. :)