Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I made a wooden book once. It was not this pretty, but I loved it. I still do.

The problem with being sent off to find someone else's handmade books is that the process becomes the world's deepest rabbit-hole. At the bottom of the rabbit-hole, after much fretting about whether I would ever make books as beautiful as some of the ones I found (not to mention some of the books I've seen from classmates and other folks in the program), I discovered minus + minus and fell just a little bit in love.

Some of Katya Reka's books are just beautiful examples of how to make a book. Others, though, such as the neckbook, dazzled me with their brand new approach to what a book actually IS.

This is the neckbook, which is made of flax paper, typewriter pieces, wire, and thread. It comes in a little round box. I love it.


Meanwhile, Katya also makes hats. Her cloches are a tiny round panorama of lovely, and I want one, even though I am NOT a hat person. Perhaps especially not a cloche person. She makes prints.

I should mention, perhaps, that she is in the process of finishing her MFA in graphic design at Indiana -Bloomington, and that she has held Book Arts Fellowships in Minnesota. I think it's terrific that she makes books that are so lovely and demanding of attention, like this journal, below, which is full of beautiful Cyrillic text and inspired by traditional Ukrainian embroidery.

No comments: