Saturday, June 26, 2010

So far in my final project book making I have covers cut & a lot of brainstorming down. I decided on 8.5 x 7 inch covers. It was probably one of the biggest and easiest decisions to make, but now I have that to work with. I'm betting (hoping) it's all downhill from here, as far as the grunt work goes.
A couple things I've learned and hope it isn't too late in the game now to be useful lessons for others:
1- The start of a ruler is not necessarily the point at which measurement begins.
2- Always withdraw a box cutter blade when you put it down to do something else, even if you are going to come right back to it.
Initially I thought my cutting mat and ruler were a fraction of an inch off from each other. After a lot of puzzlement (yeah, kind of embarrassing) I realized that there is a "0 inch" mark. I'd been measuring from the start of the ruler. I will deal with this mistake as I go, I suppose, because I hope that tiny bit isn't enough to make a difference in the great scheme of things. Will find out! (*Do all of our 10 books need to be exactly the same size? Hmm, then again, who will know...just kidding. A little...)
I also had a could-have-been-very-bad moment with the box cutter and from now on will be putting the blade back in whenever I put it down. I advise everyone do the same!!!
I can't get the text to wrap around images the way I like in Blogger, so I'm putting them at the end of this post.
Happy crafting, everybody!







Image #2, about as straight as it gets with me, the board, & the ruler.










Image #3, a break is needed for my hands to recover after cutting out less than half of my covers.


1 comment:

Kinetic Prose said...

Haha...don't worry if they vary slightly in size! It's no biggie. :)