Saturday, June 19, 2010

Matter Over Mind

Okay, I knew what I wanted to do. I had it all planned out in my head. Well the concept at least. This as we discussed in class was a lot more complicated when it came to the actual execution. Why? Because of me of course. I had the concept in my head and was determined to bring it to fruition. We were supposed to work on two different types of books, one solely based on images and the other on wordplay. The wordplay I had in my head even before we were halfway through class. Would I present it using the magicbook and how exactly could I make this work. What would I chose as the concept for my imagery. Lately, I've been inclined to metafiction of all types for the novel I've been working on for about forever. Last semester I set up a Facebook page for three of my novel's main characters and for this project, I thought about creating a children's book using only images. Why? Again the call of the character's living and breathing in my head. I thought about Lucinda and Jillian's collaboration for the children's book and decided to try their first foray. Now here is where concept and execution were having issues. I wanted to do something with Japanese creation myths. I ended up brushing up on different stories and a dozen or so different cultures. Most...were alot more complicated and too intricate for the form that I'd finally decided on (magic book). So while the Celtics were slowly losing the lead they'd held for much of the final game, I was ready to pull my hair out trying to figure out how to tell the story that I wanted to tell within the confines of the construct I'd chose without the freedom of even a single vowel to get my point across. In the end, I'm satisfied with what I came up with.


The second book was a stab binding with a soft cover. This one came together with concept and execution alot easier than the first. It was only when I was ready to get everything all bound and ready that my problems came up. Little things. Floss nowhere to be found. Fraying thread that insisted on becoming tangled and knotted and driving me crazy.






Anyway, here's what I came up with. Not too sophisticated but fun after the earlier headache. Just have to remember not to bind myself up with ideas of concept. This took days while the little magic book that I used as a birthday card/giftcard holder for my friend was ready to go in under 15 minutes. LOL.

No comments: