Friday, June 18, 2010

Handmade Book & Book Handbag

*There were several additional paragraphs at the beginning of this post, the product of brain fry & lack of time for editing. If any of you read them while this was saved in drafts, let's just pretend it didn't happen, k? Thanks. :o)

Mount Hope: Grave Thoughts, by Elizabeth Rotchford-Long:

http://www.elizabethrotchfordlong.com/images/book1.jpg

Sorry for the link and not a photo. I read the fine print after the fact and got nervous (see below; not any form, for any reason!)

© 2010 Elizabeth Rotchford-Long & e#design All art presented on this site is the original artwork of Elizabeth Rotchford-Long who holds sole ownership and copyright. Use of any image of any work on this site, in any form, for any reason, without express written consent from the artist is expressly prohibited. The graphics on this page were created by Elizabeth Rotchford-Long who holds sole ownership and complete copyright. Do not copy, save, distribute, reproduce or use in any way without express written permission of the artist.

The shape first caught my eye, though it took a few seconds and the title to realize it’s shaped like tombstones. It looks pretty crafty & difficult, which I’m sure it actually was, but it’s an accordion style book, and I associate accordion style with being, well, more ease than grief. I am aware that this association may be tested and broken in the future, perhaps semi-near future.

In the description of the book’s make-up is “gelatin printing” & “solvent transfers,” neither of which I’m familiar with and certainly aren’t among my craft supplies. But they seem neat, and I have an idea of what they are as I know what gelatin, solvents, and transfers are, so I think I can see where they’re utilized. It’s very nice.

The following isn’t advertised as a book, not in its current form. However it really stuck out to me in Google Images. I’ve never seen this done before and it seems both extremely genius and...something else I can't put my finger on. I think it’s funny because we could argue that this is, in fact, a book. I mean, who knows what’s inside!


*Update: I took this image from another blog (www.trashionista.com) but after visiting the Etsy site where it's actually sold I figure I should share it, too. SpoonFulofChocolate

2 comments:

Cort Robinson said...

That is really amazing

Kinetic Prose said...

Um, I totally bought one of these after seeing your post a couple weeks ago. Mine is a Little House on the Prairie cover. So very cute!