Monday, July 19, 2010

Fin

I can't believe I used all the glue.
That was the phrase of the day, yesterday. Of course I had Mod Podge, but I'd planned to use what was left of that to lacquer everything up shiny-like.

That was a minor speed bump in the big picture. Everything had been going nicely and in a timely manner, which I should have known was too good to last because I'm never done anything anymore with time to spare. I'd save the weekend as a production push, no plans except putting all the pieces together. I'd gotten all my parts ready and lightly tested some bits & pieces for fitting and glue compatibility, but I had not completed a book in its entirety. Doing this on Saturday and Sunday would not have been a problem at all, except I spent Saturday pacing around in a tizzy over the dog and his mysterious illness then at the animal hospital (I think everything is going to be fine, if you might be concerned.) So that left me Sunday, which was still devoted in large part to the dog. I got it all done, just not through the calm-&-steady zone but rather the adrenaline filled running-outta-time-zone.
Anyway, I am happier with my concept and ideas for the story more so than I am with the actual products. Not that I'm unhappy with those, I just feel that, as with most things, if I'd taken more time earlier the results would have that little extra bit of finesse. Mine wasn't a precision project, but things could definitely be a bit straighter/centered/neater in general, and probably would have been if I wasn't so strung out when I assembled them. And I discovered at midnight that I'd only prepared 8 text blocks instead of 10 (I could have sworn there were 10, it's possible I lost a couple in the chaos of my workspace.)
Again, it's not that I'm unsatisfied, just not as satisfied as I think I could have been.
If anyone should read the story (Jenny), I want to be the first to point out that, despite spending more time than I meant to on the actual text, there are several typos. (Note to self-- InDesign does not do spell check.) The first I noticed was "deam." And yes, it's on all 10 copies. *cringe*

I could talk about all the things that didn't go so well forever, because those are the things I've agonized over. Stuff went well, too. But now I'm out of blog fuel (and I'm at work.) So here's pics:

Scroll images


Broke two needles

This looks sloppier than it is, mostly
At work, thinking I might get to take more pictures.

*I forgot to add, this has been fun, our class time and period of free-work. It's easy to gripe about stuff, and I never mean to spend so much time doing that in papers or blogs. The book making process, I've found, is therapeutic, and even when things don't turn out exactly as planned or as pretty as anticipated, I usually still feel good about it, and the times I really don't are the times when I start over. :-)

5 comments:

B Rux said...

Oh yeah, I went through 5 glue sticks.

Kinetic Prose said...

Whoa...those needle pictures are crazy!! Looks nice!!

Danielle said...

InDesign does have a spell check. There are two ways to do it; both are under Edit, Preferences, Spelling. One is to just run a simple spell check when you are done (just like in Word). The other is called Dynamic spelling. If you check that before you start working it will underline potentially misspelled words as you go!

B Rux said...

After I posted this I thought, "Why wouldn't InDesign have spell check when it has everything else?" Then I realized it probably does but I've never thought to look for it. Heh. So don't I feel silly. Thanks for the info, I wish I'd used that Dynamic spelling!

B Rux said...
This comment has been removed by the author.