Saturday, July 10, 2010

progress

Tried out a few different things while waiting for more supplies I ordered. Those old notebooks certainly came in handy because I really wanted to try working on a couple of concepts I had in mind for my collection of stories bound in hardback. Also I found more great fabric that I wanted to use for my books. First though had to test it out and make certain that it didn't look completely ridiculous and that the glue didn't seep through. Finished up a text block and measured out the board for it. It didn't turn out very badly though there are spots where I wasn't careful with the glue. Not necessarily it seeping through the fabric but fingerprints. Also, I had a few issues with the inside. The paper I was using was a little on the thick side and then the first and last pages of the text block were sticking to it. Finally ended up gluing those pages over the too thick paper I'd used and I actually like the effect of it all. Still the entire point of the exercise was to see if the fabric would be sufficent for binding up my final set and I'm pretty happy with it. As long as I can keep my glue covered fingers to myself.

ETA:
This was fun and as it turns out not what my final books will look like. Bookmaking is like improv comedy...you gotta go off the cuff and work with what you have ;).

Trying to add the pics but...

1 comment:

Kinetic Prose said...

re: comment about improv comedy = so true!