Saturday, July 10, 2010

Oh, InDesign! I forgot you were there.

I don't know why I default back to using Word for anything that involves, er, words. And even many other projects that don't so much. I used InDesign to make one of the books in my pair a few weeks ago, and that was because I heard, "...lay it out in InDesign..." while we were learning to make the magic book, and I held on to that phrase, like it was an idea I wouldn't have thought of on my own.
Well it turns out that yet again I didn't think of using the program I paid beaucoup bucks for and which is specifically designed for the sort of projects I continue to try to pull off in Word. So, thank you Christine for your blog post! It reminded me that InDesign exists, and I own it and will use it, even if only its most basic functions and it will still be better than Word. Whew. Thanks also go to Rafe, for reminding me today that we need to use words AND at least one image! I hadn't gotten that far and might have been unpleasantly surprised to go back over the requirements and realize I'd formatted my pages and created covers without one. I could see that happening.
So this is where I am currently, formatting, laying out my story on pages. I had an "Ah hah!" moment just this morning which made me change my mind for the content, as I came across a story I wrote a while ago and think is much more fitted for this assignment. Yay. :-) I have a lot of work to do this week. Work-work (job) has been increasingly hairy (my supervisor of 5 years was fired last week and then I almost quit) so I haven't dedicated much quality time to my book making. But now, the clock is a-ticking!

2 comments:

Kinetic Prose said...

Ewwwww Word!!! Yay, InDesign :)

DK said...

I actually use OpenOffice for a lot of my layout/word processing needs because Word totally sucks. InDesign is cool once you get the hang of it, but it's harder for me to order book pages in ID for some reason. I blame Freemasons, of course.